Occupational Certificate: Social Counselling Worker
SAQA ID: 111142, NQF Level 5, Credits 143
Accreditation Number: 07-QCTO/SDP261021-3320
Purpose of the Qualification
The purpose of this qualification is to provide the required knowledge, practical skills and workplace-based experience to prepare a learner to operate as a Social Counselling Worker. A Social Counselling Worker provides supportive counselling services to individuals, families, groups and/or communities within various contexts. Qualifying learners will be able to:
- Screen and/or assess well-being in supportive counselling services.
- Facilitate appropriate interventions based on various clients’ needs.
- Compile client intervention plan.
- Apply appropriate referral procedures as per organisational processes and procedures.
The counselling qualifications, Further Education and Training Qualification and the Certificate for Counselling, currently registered are required to be realigned to the occupationally based qualifications of the Quality Council for Trades and Occupations (QCTO). This requirement prompted industry stakeholders, in collaboration with the Health and Welfare Sector Education and Training Authority (HWSETA) to initiate a process of realigning the registered counselling qualifications to the QCTO model. In addition to this, it was found that the two registered qualifications were not fit for purpose. The training currently offered to ‘Lay Counsellors’ is diverse and not standardised.
This qualification is aimed at formalising the standard of training offered to individuals who offer supportive counselling in various contexts The realignment process is aimed at addressing the need for counsellors. Currently there are individuals who operate as ‘Lay Counsellors’ who often work in a variety of contexts in environments where mental health professionals such as psychologists and social workers are not necessarily accessible to the majority of the population.
This qualification is aimed at both new entrants as well as learners who are already working in welfare environments, which include but are not limited to, educational facilities, faith communities, health communities, the criminal justice system as well as the youth and the elderly. The qualification will provide learners with knowledge and skills that will enable them to apply counselling techniques to facilitate and enhance client well-being.
The qualification offers a variety of learning pathways in areas such as public health and wellbeing, social work, community work, religious communities, nursing and emergency care. Learners who successfully complete the qualification may take up more responsibilities as supervisors and/or managers in areas specific to their own areas of practice or pursue entrepreneurial opportunities.
Learners who have gained knowledge and skills through experience will be assessed through the process of Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) in order to recognise their competencies.
It is recommended that qualified learners should register with South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA) recognised Statutory and/or Professional Bodies upon completion of the qualification. This qualification will benefit learners to access employment opportunities. Society in general will benefit from the qualification because they will be served by qualified Social Counselling Workers.
Note: The above qualification information is taken from the SAQA Doc ID 111142.
This qualification is made up of the following compulsory Knowledge, Practical Skill and Work Experience Modules:
- 263501-000-00-00-KM-01, Fundamentals of Screening and/or Assessment within the Scope of Counselling, Level 4, 5 Credits.
- 263501-000-00-00-KM-02, Counselling Skills, Level 5, 15 Credits.
- 263501-000-00-00-KM-03, Professionalism and Ethical Compliance applicable to Counselling, Level 4, 10 Credits.
Total number of credits for Knowledge Modules: 30.
Practical Skill Modules:
- 263501-000-00-00-PM-01, Compile the Client Profile, Level 5, 15 Credits.
- 263501-000-00-00-PM-02, Facilitate appropriate Interventions, Level 5, 15 Credits.
- 263501-000-00-00-PM-03, Apply Basic Counselling Skills in a Problem Saturated Situation, Level 4, 10 Credits.
- 263501-000-00-00-PM-04, Facilitate the Quality of Multi-Level Optimal Functioning, Level 5, 8 Credits.
Total number of credits for Practical Skill Modules: 48.
Work Experience Modules:
- 263501-000-00-00-WM-01, Processes Related to the Compilation of Clients’ Profiles in relation to Different Social and Environmental Context, Level 5, 20 Credits.
- 263501-000-00-00-WM-02, Facilitation of Resolutions, Level 5, 15 Credits.
- 263501-000-00-00-WM-03, Application of Basic Counselling Skills in a Problem Saturated Situation, Level 4, 15 Credits.
- 263501-000-00-00-WM-04, Facilitation of Multi-Level Functioning, Level 5, 15 Credits.
Total number of credits for Work Experience Modules: 65.
- Certified copy of ID or Passport with the valid study visa /permanent residence ID.
- Certified copy of NQF Level 4 certificate or Senior Certificate/ Grade 12.
- Signed PoPI Act Agreement (Download here)
- Detailed Curriculum Vitae(Only RPL Students)
- Certified copies of all the in-formal or non-formal Training in Counselling. (Only RPL Students)
- Copy of police (SAPS) clearance certificate or proof of application for the police clearance certificate. (Note: the police clearance certificate is compulsory for the workplace experience modules. Without police clearance certificate, learners will not be able to complete Workplace Experience modules).
- All the successful applicants will be invited for an online interview as part of the final screening process. The Final decision on the application will be determined by the outcome of the interview.
|Course Fee 2022 - Social Counselling|
|Course fees||R45 000 (R22200 Sponsored by WnL Church)|
|Discounted Course Fees||R22800 (Study material included, but courier/postage cost is not included)|
|Professional Body fee (Only for Student Affiliation)||Student affiliation with the professional body is mandatory. R190 Application fee and once a student is accepted by the professional body, the annual fee will be R770 (Student affiliation fee). Professional Body affiliation fee must be paid to the relevant professional body given bank account: for more details click here: https://www.aschp.net/registration.html|
|Final exam fee (EISA)||Waiting for prices from QCTO|
|RPL Application fee||R800 (Non-refundable and excluding RPL Assessment fee) Note: The RPL assessment fee will be charged separately depending on the number of Assessments and Credits. For more details please contact email@example.com|
|Total course fee||R23300 (Excluding RPL, EISA fee, Student membership fee with the professional body)|